Licenses Needed to Operate an Agricultural Spray Drone in the US

Licenses Needed to Operate an Agricultural Spray Drone in the US

Looking to operate an agricultural spray drone in the US? Learn about the Licenses Needed to Operate an Agricultural Spray Drone in the US to ensure legal compliance. This blog will explore the necessary licensing requirements, including the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate and any state-specific regulations. Gain insights into the application process, training programs, and practical tips for successfully obtaining the required licenses. Stay informed on the rules and regulations governing the operation of agricultural spray drones to operate safely and efficiently in the US.

To operate an agricultural sprayer drone in the United States, you must obtain specific licenses. Here’s what you need to know:

FAA Part 107 Drone Pilot License: First and foremost, anyone operating an agricultural sprayer drone needs to have an FAA Part 107 drone pilot license. This certification ensures that you have the knowledge and skills required to fly a drone safely and legally in the National Airspace System. To obtain a Part 107 license, you must be at least 16 years old and pass an aeronautical knowledge test.

FAA Part 137 License: In addition to the Part 107 license, you also need an FAA Part 137 license specifically for operating an agricultural sprayer drone. This license covers the regulations related to spraying agricultural chemicals from an aircraft. It ensures that you are aware of safety and environmental considerations when spraying crops from the air.

Part 137 Exemption (for drones over 55 pounds): If you’re using a drone that weighs over 55 pounds (such as DJI Agras T40 or DJI Agras T30), you’ll need to obtain an exemption from some parts of the Part 137 regulations. This exemption can be obtained through the FAA’s website. It involves demonstrating that your drone is safe and won’t pose a risk to people or property on the ground. Once you receive the exemption, you can apply for the Part 137 license through your local Flight Standards District Office (FSDO).

Aerial Commercial Applicator License: In addition to the FAA licenses, you’ll need an aerial commercial applicator license from your state’s regulatory agency. The requirements for this license can vary by state. Typically, you’ll need to demonstrate knowledge and training in safely applying pesticides from the air. This may involve completing an approved training program, passing an exam, and demonstrating your skills in a field test. You may also need liability insurance and compliance with environmental regulations.

In summary, to fly and spray with an agricultural sprayer drone in the US, you need a Part 107 drone pilot license, a Part 137 license, a Part 137 exemption, and the respective State Applicator Licenses.

Back to blog